Lithium Battery Transportation Safety
- Allowed lithium batteries: lithium batteries of lower than 100 Wh for laptops, mobile phones and cameras among other personal portable electronic devices are allowed as carry-on baggage or spare batteries into the cabin.
- Restricted lithium batteries: With the approval from the airline, Passengers can carry electronic devices with lithium batteries of higher than (including) 100Wh but lower than 160Wh. Each passenger can carry up to two spare lithium batteries and the battery cannot be transported as Checked Baggage.
- Prohibited lithium batteries: Lithium batteries higher than 160Wh or electronic devices with lithium batteries higher than 160Wh are prohibited from carriage (excluding a wheelchair with lithium batteries).
- Protective measures for lithium batteries: Each backup battery must be well protected to prevent short circuits (by placing the battery into the original packaging or in other ways to achieve electrode insulation, such as taping the exposed electrodes, or placing each battery into separate plastic bags or protective cases).
- Lithium batteries must be of a type that meet the requirements of the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, subsection 38.3.
|Limited rated power or lithium battery capacity||Baggage type||Limit on quantity||Approver||Protective measure||Notice the aircraft commander|
|Personal consumer devices||≤100Wh or ≤2g||Checked baggage, hand-carried or carry-on batteries||--||--||Prevent accidental startup|
|100Wh-160Wh||--||Approved by the operator|
|Backup batteries for personal consumer devices||≤100Wh or ≤2g||Hand-carried or carry-on batteries||※||--||Separated protection|
|100Wh-160Wh||Two pieces per passenger||Approved by the operator|
|Portable electronic medical appliances||≤160Wh or ≤8g||Checked baggage, hand-carried or carry-on batteries||--||Approved by the operator||Prevent accidental startup|
|Backup batteries for portable electronic medical appliances||Hand-carried or carry-on batteries||Two pieces per passenger||Separated protection|
|Electrically powered wheelchairs or walk-aiding tools||Undetachable batteries||--||Checked baggage||--||Notice the operator in advance for arrangement||Battery cut-off, battery short circuit, and battery damage||Notice the aircraft commander|
|Detachable batteries||≤300Wh||Batteries should be detached and carried in hand|
|Backup batteries for electrically powered wheelchairs or walk-aiding tools||≤160Wh||Hand-carried||Two pieces per passenger||battery short circuit, and battery damage|
|≤300Wh||One piece per passenger|